Tasmanian Seafarers' Memorial
| | | | |
| | | |
G.V.H. ketch (1895)
plaque reads ...
Sailde Launceston for Furneaux Group
with stores, mail. Capt. James Milligan
Swedish deck hand Oscar Eckland
Passengers - Mrs. Elizabeth Ferguson,
Miss Pauline Garrett, Mr Adam Newitt
Last sighted off Cape Barren Island
where was wrecked on Bung's Point
13.10.1895 ~ all perished
The sailing ketch G.V.H. was owned by the Launceston
shipping firm William Holyman and Sons. It was named after the wife
of Thomas Holyman, Grace Victoria Holyman. The 14 ton vessel was built
at Formby, Tasmania in 1886.
The G.V.H. was last sighted off Cape Barren Island on 13
October 1895 and wreckage from the vessel, including
three bodies, was found the next day on the shore of Cape Barren Island.
Launceston Examiner newspaper
reported the coroner's findings on 22 November 1895.
The G.V.H. had a lucky escape from serious damage in an earlier
incident. The Wellington Times and Agricultural and
Mining Gazette reported on 7 May 1895 that:
"The s s. Koonya when coming up the river on Saturday,
ran into the ketch G.V.H, lying at anchor in the boat channel.
The Koonya struck
her port quarter doing damage to the extent of about £5. Captain
Madden noticed the ketch in time and after getting clear he went aboard
but found no one in charge, master and crew being on shore. The ketch
had no lights burning. A (sic) inquiry is to be held by the Marine