Tasmanian Seafarers' Memorial
| | | | |
Louis Alfred Felmingham
A. E. (Joe) Board (1951)
TSM 94. Felmingham, L. A. and Board, A. E .
The plaque reads ...
A.E BOARD (38)
Fishermen of St. Helens, Tas
Lost off Eddystone Point 18.10.1951
Crew of fishing vessel 'Neptune'
Auxilliary ketch, 23 GRT/NET
Officially known as 'Miss St. Helens'
Built by Neil Drake of Triabunna 1946.
On 17th October 1951 heavy weather forced Louis
Alfred Felmingham (34) and his brother-in-law A. E.(Joe) Board (38)
crew of the F. V. Neptune,
to land a catch at Boat Harbour, 7 miles from Eddystone Point, North
East Tasmania. Next day (18th ) they set out again for the Eddystone
Point fishing area but they failed to arrive.
Despite extensive searches the men's bodies were never found. The vessel's
wheelhouse was found on 21st, October floating off Eddystone Point
but it was not until the 24th that the wreck was found in about 90 feet
of water, 1.25 miles north of Eddystone Point.
Neptune (officially Miss St. Helens) was an auxiliary ketch
of 23 grt/net; 49 x 13.1 x 6 feet; built at Triabunna by her first owner
Neil Drake in 1946. She was the 6th vessel he had built. Launched as
but renamed in 1949, Hobart , under the ownership of Louis Alfred Felmingham
of St. Helens, she had reverted to her original name long before her
Powered by an 18 bhp (2 cylinders, 4 in diameter x 6 ins stroke), Thornycroft
diesel engine made in 1945, she was valued at 4,000 pounds. (ref. Broxham & Nash